The Bug Bit Back

Boy do I feel rough! After a week and a half of positivity and me thinking I'd beat the bug it finally hit me last night. Just before dinner.

Everyone in the house had been ill but me, we'd had a clear few days and I thought I'd escaped. I admit I was surprised because I always get ill after the boys. The bug bit Little Prince first and early last week he got out of bed and ran to the bathroom. After some TLC from mummy he was all better by lunch time but then it was Big Prince's turn. Luckily his bug hit him at the weekend so no time off school. It was a short illness, lasting only a few hours for LP and 1 day for BP. Then the Hubby was ill, it bit in the evening after dinner and he felt rubbish for most of the night. He was not sick. 

I thought I'd miraculously missed out this time, I thought I'd been lucky. But as it turns out the bug lingered in the house, unbeknownst to me, and it bit me last night. Before dinner I started to feel weak and tired, I put it down to being busy. The minutes ticked by and I gradually felt worse and worse. I cooked dinner but couldn't eat anything, and even drinking water felt like effort.

The kids went to bed and the Hubby and I sat down to watch our evening television. I felt like there was a valve open somewhere and all my energy was seeping out of me. By nine o'clock I couldn't take it anymore and went to bed. The stomach cramps were bad and the only way to get comfortable was to lay on my side in the fetal position. I slept from 9pm until about 1am but then the cramps were just too much. From 1 o'clock I spent my night in and out of the bathroom unable to get any sleep, or at least if I did sleep it wasn't noticeable. I hoped that come morning I'd be all better. I wasn't.

I woke (again) at 6.20am and hurried into the bathroom and this time... let's just say it was unpleasant. My energy had all but gone and the cramps continued. But as all mothers do I got up to sort out the boys ready for school. I made their breakfast, I packed their lunch boxes. I asked the Hubby if he would drop them off at school, I simply didn't have the energy. 

Fast forward a few hours and I'm feeling slightly better. I have eaten a small slice of toast and had plenty of water and so far it has stayed where it's supposed to. I'm shivering, on and off, am super tired but as long as the cramps have subsided and the food stays inside I think I'll be okay.

Here's the thing that makes me laugh though, I feel guilty for being ill. As if my being ill is somehow restricting what the boys and the Hubby can do. This illness of mine means the dishwasher isn't put on and I'll only be cooking something quick and easy for dinner. Although I know I can't help being ill I still feel like I owe them something, some sort of compensation. 

I'm sure when I'm feeling better the housework will (may) get done and everything will be back to normal but for now, we're all just going to have to live amongst the mess.


  1. Oh no that bug sounds awful! I hope you feel better soon x

  2. Oh hun you poor thing, sounds horrible. I know what you mean about feeling guilty but you have to make yourself a priority occasionally over the housework, and right now is definitely one of those times! Feel better soon lovely xx

    1. Thank you hun. Thankfully I'm back to normal now. xx